Power Chrono Guide
Welcome to our Power Chrono Guide for Guildwars 2. Here you will learn everything you need to know about playing a Power Chrono in a raid environment.
- Provides very high if not permanent uptime of 2 offensive buffs, Quickness and Alacrity.
- Capable of dealing more breakbar damage than any other raid build.
- Can allow your team to completely ignore certain mechanics by granting AoE Distortion.
- Lots of access extra block, evade and invuln frames make it the best tank in the game.
- Extremely low personal DPS.
- Expensive to gear compared to most other builds.
- Long and complex rotation which doesn’t flow very well.
- Hard to learn because it’s often assigned to deal with a lot of encounter specific jobs.
3. Current Viability
With the Path of Fire Expansion which came out on September 22, 2017 Power Chrono received no significant skill or trait changes. However, a new optimal gear combination for 100% quickness duration became available. This is due to the introduction of Firebrand runes, which have been given the following stats:
- Increases condition damage by 175, boon duration by 15%, quickness duration by a further 20% and applies a small amount of burning to nearby enemies when using an elite skill.
Firebrand runes provide an additional 5% quickness duration compared to Leadership runes, but at the cost of 36 power, precision and ferocity. Having the higher quickness duration does end up pulling Firebrand runes a little bit ahead, because of commander gear currently being the only way of acquiring more concentration. Also the extra condition damage from Firebrand runes isn’t a complete waste, because it can synergise with Toxic Maintenance Oil to provide a bit boon duration. Overall there is less than 1% effective power increase, so the difference is very small, but it’s worth noting that all boons you share with signet of inspiration (except for quickness) will have 20% lower duration .
With the August 8, 2017 Balance Patch Power Chrono received 2 new grand-master traits. To make room for these new traits Harmonious Mantras was removed from the game, along with Mistrust. Ineptitude received a small but insignificant buff and moved from Illusions to Dueling (where Mistrust used to be). With the remaining slots Superiority Complex was added to Dueling, and Phantasmal Force to Illusions. The new traits are a good DPS increase over the previous grand-master options, they have been given the following functionality:
- : Increases critical-hit damage by 15%. This bonus is further increased to 25% against foes below 50% health or foes who become disabled by stun, daze, taunt, fear, knockdown, etc.
- : Phantasms gain a 1% damage boost whenever might is applied to them, and a 4% damage boost whenever they attack (maximum bonus 25%). This bonus damage lasts until the phantasm is destroyed.
Another change that happened in this patch, is a nerf to all boon duration food and platinum doubloons. Which lost us around 20% boon duration, that now has to make up for with commander’s gear. This is unfortunate because now more stat points are wasted on toughness instead of ferocity, lowering the DPS even further. However, overall DPS loss from the new gear is not nearly enough to push Power Chrono out of the meta. It is still optimal to have two players using this build (or a variant of it) on every raid boss.
To make it easy to navigate the guide, we have split it into 4 pages:
28 September 2017: Updated gear section of the build guide to include firebrand rune variant
7 September 2017: Added trait and rotation variations to the build guide
17 August 2017: Updated wording on consumables, Added Stat Infusions
12 August 2017: Added section